First and foremost, games are my passion. For as long as I can remember they have been my biggest interest. When I left school and heard about my local college running a games course, I knew that it was the only option for me and signed up straight away.
College allowed me the opportunity to start learning something that would power my ambition and lead me into my career 6 years later. I got my first glimpse at 3D modelling principals with Maya and started thinking about how to design and build games rather than just playing them.
I left college with a double distinction and the path was pretty clear from here – I wanted to continue learning and was desperate to progress my skills. I applied for games development degrees and was accepted at the University of Gloucestershire. I finished University with a First Class with Honours degree and joined the real world spending every day doing what I love.
tl;dr version: I love games 🙂
• Prototyping layouts and ideas
• Creating and maintaining design documents
• Quickly learning new tools and processes
• Communication and teamwork
• Visual scripting
• 3DS Max
• EGO Engine Suite, Unity 3D
• Microsoft Office Suite
• Designing, white-boxing, building and taking to ship 6 levels using in-house EGO suite
• Used in-house EGO visual scripting editor to create all gameplay elements in my levels
• Iterating on levels and areas of game design under my ownership following feedback
• Balancing game modes using in-house tools, using playtesting to make iterative changes
• Involved in all pre-production for level and game mechanic designs
• Providing specifications for new technologies and tools required and ways to use existing technologies to save time and costs
• Responsible for designing core progression mechanic for obtaining and collecting vehicles
• Providing feedback on usability design and ui following playtesting
• Responsible for multiple text strings throughout the game including boss names, loading screen hints, world names and event names
• Accurately recreating replay cameras for a number of levels that resemble real life Formula 1 television broadcast cameras using in-house EGO game engine
• Creating track intro cameras resembling helicopter tv cameras and pit lane cameras on splines for a number of different levels using in-house EGO game engine
• Creating visual scripts and trigger zones using in-house EGO game engine to trigger different cameras under different circumstances
• Iterating on camera placements and animations following on-going feedback
• Starting from scratch using feedback gathered from the console release of F1 Race Stars, the game was redesigned heavily for iOS. Responsible for designing, white-boxing, building and taking to ship 10 brand new levels using as many existing art assets from the console version as possible. 2 Abu Dhabi, 2 Canada, 2 Germany, 2 Italy and 2 Singapore levels. Including all gameplay elements for game modes and events utilising in-house visual scripting editor.
• Iterative changes and balancing of gameplay and levels
• Worked closely with art team and monitored art passes on all levels under my responsibility
• Created design documents and maintaining internal wiki for levels under my responsibility
• Responsible for creating and maintaining achievements using iTunes Connect
• Pre-production brain storming for all circuit designs and concepts
• Provided input and ideas to the on-going game design and development
My key responsibilities are the creation of the race circuits Hockenheimring in Germany, Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Canada.
• White-boxed, created and taken to ship Germany, Abu Dhabi and Canada levels utilising 3ds Max, in-house plugins and EGO World Builder
• Full design and concept creation for Italy and Canada levels
• Worked closely with art team and monitored art passes on Germany, Abu Dhabi and Canada
• Designed, created and maintained Canada DLC level to ship
• Critical review and post-mortem of game, own levels and colleagues levels
Working directly with the development and design team has given me a great insight into the production lifecycle of AAA game titles. It has also allowed me to get hands-on with the creative and development process and to see how a game can grow from early development towards release.
• Liaising with development teams and checking time sensitive problems for fixing ASAP.
• Submitting detailed bug reports to the internal bug database for fixing via Jira.
• Creating test plans and test cases to give feedback to development teams.
• Testing key issues and ensuring builds are playable and stable to send to main QA for further testing
• Using Perforce to help determine and recognise specific issues
• Giving creative feedback to designers and development team
Employed as a principal 3D Artist & Visualist, to create illustrations, animations and visualisations to present to clients.
• Working as part of a small team and directly alongside the MD to create artwork that meets client requirements.
• Encapsulating clients creative vision and presenting it as a 3D visualisation, using mainly 3DS Max and Photoshop.
• Interpreting briefs and meeting regularly with clients to support proposals and solutions.
• Creating Illustrations and storyboards to assist with initial project requirements.
• Working with architect’s plans and AutoCAD to create photorealistic visualisations of architecture.
BSc First Class (Hons) Interactive Games Design
Games Design Theory, Game Engines, 3D Modelling, Photoshop, Animation, Video Effects & Production, Java, c#, vb.net
BTec National Diploma Computer Games Design & Development
Game Design Theory, 3D Modelling, Video Production, Audio Design & Production, Java